Research suggests that sitting at a desk all day long can increase the risk of serious health problems. The American Medical Association (AMA) recognizes that “there are potential risks of prolonged sitting” and encourages “efforts by employers, employees and others to make available alternatives such as standing workstations.”* However, standing all day can cause other problems, such as swelling and fatigue. WorkWise™ adjustable-height desks provide a better way to promote wellness and discourage harmful sedentary behavior. They allow office workers to seamlessly alternate between sitting and standing throughout the workday, helping them moderate physical stresses and maintain a steady flow of energy, ideas and activity.
Initial studies and user reports suggest that standing for part of the day has a range of potential benefits:
- Improved alertness, concentration and productivity
- Increased metabolism
- Improved posture and toning of key muscle groups
- Reduced fatigue, eyestrain, aches and pains
- Improved circulation and respiration
- Lower blood pressure and reduced risk of diabetes and heart disease
- Increased comfort, improved morale and reduced absenteeism
- Decreased risk of repetitive stress injuries
- Accommodation of multiple workers in shared spaces
WorkWise adjustable-height workstations convert fixed-height desks and other work surfaces to gain the benefits of one-touch height adjustment for sitting or standing. Three different styles suit a range of applications and preferences.